"Failed to start the X Server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly."

Andrew Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 17:11:21 PDT 2006

(I'm CC-ing the xorg list because it's possible someone else could help
you better here)

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 01:55 +0200, Joseph Bailey wrote:
> Hi and thanks again, Andrew.
>
> Still no success, even after carrying out the steps you gave in your last
> message (as far as I can tell, the update was successful). I did find more
> information than what I had included in my original message (wasn't aware
> that more might be found by scrolling down -- so now I'm a bit less
> ignorant than before). What I sent the first time was:
>
> > X Window System Version 7.0.0
> > Release Date: 21 Dec. 2005
> > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.0
> > Build operating system: Linux 2.6.15.7 i686
> > Current operating system: Linux ubuntu 2.6.15-26-386 #1 PREEMT Thu
> > Aug 3 02:52:00 UTC 2006 i686
> > Build date: 16 March 2006

Can someone with Ubuntu confirm that this is the latest X.org build
available? Namely, is the build date correct?

> > Module loader present
> > Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++)
> > from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (ww) warning,  (EE)
> > error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown, (==) unknown file:
> > "/var/log/xorg.0.log", Time: Tue, Aug 22 18:28:02 2006
> > (==) Using config file: "ext/X11/xorg.config"
>
> The additional information I found by scrolling down was:
>
> (EE) unable to find a valid framebuffer device, consult warnings and/or
> errors above for possible reasons (you may have to look at the swerver log
> to see warnings)
> (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found.

You are using the framebuffer for X. I do not know what kind of video
hardware you have, so this option may be required or make your hardware
work better. If I were you, I'd remove the line that says:

Option "UseFBDev" "on"

("on" could be "true" or "enable" or similar)

from /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You can use the program 'nano' to do this:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

But someone who has experience with Ubuntu and the recent updates may
have better advice for you.

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/

"Buzzword detected (core dumped)"