Why is image stretched vertically on widescreen monitor?

Stuart Kreitman Stuart.Kreitman at Sun.COM
Wed Aug 23 13:35:41 PDT 2006

Val:

The X protocol assumes square pixels (1:1) so you should observe some
degree of squish on any non-square display. Its just that you have a
side by side comparison of 2 different aspect ratios that accentuates
the effect.  The DPI setting is for the use of clients that perform
their own drawing operations.

Stuart Kreitman