Problems compiling X11R7.1

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at sun.com
Wed Aug 23 11:03:10 PDT 2006

Markku Tavasti wrote:
> I'm trying to compile latest X.org release from tarballs. I got all
> packages from ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/X11/ftp.x.org/X11R7.1/src/ and http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/*checkout*/xorg/util/modular/build-from-tarballs.sh
>
> First problems was 'everything' directory. It is missing some files,
> at least libX11-X11R7.1-1.0.1.tar.bz2. Ok, got that.
>
> Looks like there is still packages missing:

This is noted in the X11R7.1 README, though still very confusing to many users:

   X11R7.1 is the second release in the X11R7 series. Tarballs for packages that
   have had updates since the 7.0 release are included in this release. To build
   this release, you will first need to get the packages from X11R7.0 and then
   add the new packages from X11R7.1 to them.

( http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.1/doc/README1.html#1 )

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com