i810 modesetting branch

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Tue Aug 22 02:07:51 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 09:26 +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > (II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe A:
> > (II) I810(0): 	CRT
> > (II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe B:
> > (II) I810(0): 	LFP (local flat panel)
> >
> > Shouldn't it be using both of those on a single pipe?  As I said, I
> > don't entirely understand how the code is meant to work so it's tricky
> > to spot problems.
>
> No, if they were both on a single pipe, you'd get cloning. So the above
> is correct to have independent content on each display.

OK, now I'm confused.  What I want:

When on the move or anywhere in the house but the study I want to use
the internal LCD at 1024x768.  This is fine.

When in the study I have a 20" LCD I want to plug in, when I plug it in
I want X to probe the new monitor, detect that it can handle 1680x1050,
resize the screen to that size, and disable the internal LCD.  I don't
want to have two X screens, I want my single screen to resize to fit the
larger monitor.

Is this not cloning with hotplugable output devices?

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./