Radeon 9000 Pro corruption problem on PPC when DRI is enabled

Ari Entlich lmage11 at twcny.rr.com
Sat Aug 19 15:42:06 PDT 2006

Hello,

I am writing to ask about a video corruption problem I've been trying to
sort out. The problem arose after I upgraded to X.Org 7.1 from X.Org
6.8.2, which didn't have this problem. It only arises when DRI is
enabled - changing anything to make DRI not start produces correct
output. I used gentoo's ppc Xorg autoconfig utility (Xorgautoconfig) to
generate my configuration, which can be found at
http://home.twcny.rr.com/fandaswebsite/xorg.conf. The only change I made
to that configuration was to enable UseFBDev, because my monitor acts
like it's not getting a signal otherwise, for some reason. I do not
think this is a monitor issue however because, as you might or might not
be able to see in the pictures, the cursor is unaffected. One thing
which I noticed was that changing the bit depth changes how the
corruption looks. Log files with DRI both on and off at bit depth 16
(there are no significant differences between the 16 bit and 24 bit log
files) can be found at
http://home.twcny.rr.com/fandaswebsite/xorg_log_16 and
http://home.twcny.rr.com/fandaswebsite/xorg_log_no_dri_16. The pictures
for 16 and 24 bit depths can be found at
http://home.twcny.rr.com/fandaswebsite/bitdepth_16.jpg and
http://home.twcny.rr.com/fandaswebsite/bitdepth_24.jpg (sorry about the
low image quality - they were taken with a digital camcorder...). These
pictures are supposed to look roughly like
http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/39010-1.png. The output of dmesg
can be found at http://home.twcny.rr.com/fandaswebsite/dmesg.

Here's the portage info given when filing a bug in the gentoo bug
database, some of this info should be useful.

Portage 2.1-r1 (default-linux/ppc/ppc32/2006.0/G4, gcc-4.1.1,
glibc-2.4-r3, 2.6.17-gentoo-r2 ppc)
System uname: 2.6.17-gentoo-r2 ppc 7455, altivec supported
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.15
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r1
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.3
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r3
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r4
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="ppc"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O1 -O2 -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe"
CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O1 -O2 -O3 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -maltivec -mabi=altivec
-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache collision-protect distlocks keeptemp
metadata-transfer nostrip parallel-fetch sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
LINGUAS="en"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times
--compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats
--timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local'
--exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="ppc X a52 aac aalib accessibility alsa altivec apache2 apm arts
artswrappersuid bash-completion berkdb binfilter bitmap-fonts bonobo
bzip2 cairo caps catalogs cdparanoia cdr cjk cli cpudetection crypt cups
curl dbus dga dlloader doc dri dv dvd dvdread ecc eds elf emacs emboss
encode esd examples exif fbcon ffmpeg firefox flac fontconfig foomaticdb
fortran fpx gcj gdbm gif gimp gimpprint gnome gnutls gphoto2 gpm
graphviz gs gstreamer gtk gtkhtml hal idea ieee1394 imagemagick imlib
ipod ipv6 isdnlog java javacomm javascript jbig jpeg jpeg2k kde ldap
libcaca libg++ libwww live lzo mad mikmod mng modplug mono motif
mozcalendar mozdevelop mozilla mozsvg mp3 mp4 mpeg mudflap musicbrainz
ncurses network new-login nls nntp nptl nptlonly nsplugin numeric objc
objc++ objc-gc ogg openal openexr opengl oss pam pam_console pcre pdf
pdflib perl php plotutils png ppds pppd python qt qt3 qt4 quicktime
readline reflection ruby scanner sdl server session sheep slang sndfile
snmp spell spl ssl svg tagwriting tcltk tcpd tetex theora threads tiff
timidity truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode vim-with-x
vorbis wmf x264 xine xml xml2 xmms xorg xpm xprint xv xvid zeroconf zlib
elibc_glibc input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse kernel_linux
linguas_en userland_GNU video_cards_radeon video_cards_fbdev"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LDFLAGS, MAKEOPTS,
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

This shows how portage is set up. The CFLAGS value is probably of
particular interest. There's also information on my version of gcc,
glibc, the kernel, etc. This version of GCC and my CFLAGS may seem a
little bit cutting edge, but I have tried compiling various stuff
(xorg-server, mesa, xf86-video-ati, libdrm, mostly - if there's anything
else that may make a difference, let me know) with GCC 3.4.6 and no
optimization CFLAGS, but that didn't solve the problem.

You should be able to find most of the information you need about my
system from the dmesg output, but just in case there's something it
doesn't tell you here are some specs.

PowerMac G4 1.25GHz "Mirror Drive Doors" (known to the kernel as the
Windtunnel)
Radeon 9000 Pro, 64MB VRAM
Apple Studio 17" CRT Monitor
768MB of RAM