Rant about ATI

Wed Aug 9 00:24:52 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 09:31 +1000, Marek Wawrzyczny wrote:

> From the users perspective I just want things to work. I would love to
> be able to show Linux at its best when showing it to Windows/Apple
> desktop users.

> I could not care less where the driver comes from.

So just use Windows, if you don't care where your drivers come from, you
also don't care where your OS comes from.

> To me, the driver is just a little (albeit an important) part of the
> big X picture.

I think you very much are not seeing the big Xorg picture. If there
would only be closed drivers there would be no Xorg at all. Since how
would the developers write Xorg if they have nothing to test it with.
People that are using closed source drivers are like people that commit
insurance fraud, they never think about what would happen is everybody
would do that and they always think/say everybody else also does it.

With your "i don't care" you endangering not only the future of Xorg but
of all FOSS, since people like you are the reason FOSS drivers are not
needed because you don't care anyway.

- Erwin