server-$DISPLAY.xkm no longer written?

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Fri Aug 4 11:57:58 PDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 01:14:47PM +0200, Stefan Dirsch wrote:
> My initial question has been, why the Xserver no longer uses the
> compiled dir. Or is this a misleading error message?

It's a slightly misleading error message, but it actually does use the
compiled dir.  What happens is that xkbcomp creates the compiled xkm
file in the compiled dir.  Next, the server attempts to read this newly
created file, and then immediately deletes the xkm file whether or not
it had valid data.  So, the compiled dir is used, and the file is there,
but only temporarily between the time xkbcomp creates it and the server
reads it.

See XkbDDXLoadKeymapByNames() and XkbDDXCompileKeymapByNames() in
xkb/ddxLoad.c for more details.

Kevin