Getting a wireless remote and card-reader to NOT act as a keyboard or mouse

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 12:01:47 PDT 2006

Is there any way possible to get both of these working on the same
system, while using and xterminal to not screw up my xterminal,
inteferce with my keyboard, and make my windowmanager think a mouse is
sending commands?

This has been a royal pain to me that these devices are treated as
keyboards, and for some reason the card-reader has been treated as
both a mice and a keyboard depending on the distribution (is that an
xorg.conf problem?)

1) The remote control interferes with keyboard buttons that I use for
things like opening an xterminal, changing the volume, etc..

2) As a keyboard, it makes it impossible to type and watch tv at the
same time and want to change the channel or volume, while still doing
work. I donot like being forced to do one task at a time.

3) As a keyboard, requires me to have the particular object selected
so that it gets the input. This is not desirable as I put the tv-app
in the background behind my current windows so i can do work thats
more important while still being able to see enough of the tv to be
relevant. Think of how the xbindkeys program works, it doesn't
actually need to be "selected" to grab the key-input and it does not
block other apps from receiving all keys.

4) As a mouse, it makes my card-reader completely useless as I see the
mouse move around open a menu and select options, based on the input
from that card.  WTF!

These devices should still be able to use the input in the same way
that they are, but I wish/want them to be treated as seperate devices
as needed.  To simplify things my problem is comparable to having the
keyboard and mouse indistinguishable; If I have a terminal open and
move the mouse, and characters start appearing on the terminal and the
mouse doesn't move, that is essentially anoher way to put my problem
with the remotes and card-readers acting as keyboards.

Is there any possible way to do this, or for this to be done.
I can see something like "send card-reader events" or "send remote
events" similar to that of the "send core events" options in the
xorg.conf files for assing mice and keyboards appropriately.

And I could care less if the other programs won't support this yet, as
I can hack'n'patch the support myself. (Being that they are generally
smaller and less-maintained that Xorg's project)

--
Kevin Day