PCI rework

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Sun Apr 30 11:23:06 PDT 2006

On Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:06 am, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Sunday, April 30, 2006 5:22 am, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Matthieu Herb, asked me to have a look at libpciaccess some time
> > ago. My conclusion then was that it is too tightly bound to Linux.
> > It takes the Linux sysfs pci access interface as a model instead of
> > the actual pci hardware.  I especially feel the support to map
> > memory associated with the PCI BAR's does not belong in the
> > library.  It is not impossible to implement the libpciaccess
> > backend for other operating systems, but it would be rather
> > awkward.
>
> X already assumes it can mmap memory BARs, do you think it needs to
> change too?  It seems to me that the interface provided by
> libpciaccess is fairly flexible, easy to use, and easily ported to
> new platforms (it should be, it's based on the Linux internal PCI
> interfaces which have prooven highly portable).  Do you have other
> examples where you think Linux specific implementation details have
> crept into the interface?

Oh, I see you must be talking about the xf86(Read|Write)Mmio*
routines... do we really need those anymore?  Looks like BSD on Alpha
might use them, but are there any platforms that we care about that
need them?  If they're really necessary they could be added to
libpciaccess (though preferably w/o the silly extra layer of
indirection that MMIO_IN* -> xf86ReadMmio* have).

Jesse