Ubuntu XGL packages

James Duncan xorg at jaduncan.net
Thu Apr 27 06:52:43 PDT 2006

I have installed the dapper xgl package on sid, but when I attempt to start
XGL, it fails out with the following error.  I can however see it start up,
but it crashes about half a second after the screen appears.

<SNIPPAGE>
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/OTF, removing from list!

Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/, removing from
list!
Could not init font path element /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/, removing from
list!

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ": 10.0"
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

I am also wondering if this is due to the xgl package ( 7.0.0.0) being a bit
older then the sid xorg package (7.0.14).

Any ideas on how to fix this are appreciated, or is it just simpler to build
from source?

James Duncan