Release process for Xorg 7.1

Kevin E Martin kem at freedesktop.org
Wed Apr 26 14:11:42 PDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 04:37:21PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 09:02, Egbert Eich wrote:
> > If we decide to ship new documentation the way Keith suggests we
> > should migrate any existing documentation in the same fashion.
> > It may sound reasonalbe now to treat them differently - but
> > some years down the road nobody will remember why it is done
> > that way - espcecially as the reasons will sound more strange
> > then than now.
> > So since we are currently still in a big clean up phase why not
> > make everything as consistent as possible?
>
> I don't object to this reorganization.  I'm not going to actively work on it
> as part of the 7.1 effort though.

For those who might not know, the decision to put all of the old docs
into a single package was made for primarily one reason: There was
discussion last year about converting the docs from the various old
formats to a modern format.  Then, as each doc is converted, it could be
moved out of the docs package and put into a more appropriate package.
I'm not sure if/when that will happen, so if people would like to go
ahead and spread the old format docs out to the appropriate packages now
and then convert them to a modern format later, that's okay by me.  I
just don't want to desire to convert the docs to a modern format to be
lost in the shuffle here.

Kevin