Resizing and scrolling very slow when running a compositing manager

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Apr 25 06:32:15 PDT 2006

On Apr 25, 06 14:21:21 +0100, Ioannis Nousias wrote:
> >I have a Radeon 9200 Mobility and I'm running Xorg 7.0 with radeon driver.
> >If I run a compositing manager like xcompmgr, scrolling and resizing
> >windows is much slower, especially for applications like Firefox. I

It's somehow a fundamental problem. AFAIR David has already thought
quite a lot about it, there is no trivial fix for that right now,
though. The problem is that the off-screen surfaces have to be resized,
which is a costly operation. It's also expensive on higher end hardware,
just not as noticable.

I think in the near future the resize plugin can do something about it
(an intermediate off-screen surface during resizing, doing the final
size in the very end), but nothing right now.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg    (_   | |  (_   |__         mat at mshopf.de