build Xorg with read-only source tree

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Tue Apr 25 03:26:26 PDT 2006

In principal this is possible to do without lndir in an autotooled
environment. Create an empty dir for buidling, cd there and call
configure in the read only source dir. ie:
mkdir foo
cd foo
../src/bar/configure

This however requires configure and the .in files to be present - which
isn't true for sources directly pulled form cvs or git as we don't keep
these files in there.
Thus you will have to call autogen.sh (or better 'autoreconf -v --install'
as autogen.sh does too much )in the source directory at least once.

If you want to ensure that your source directory stays clean of any
derived files however you should go the lndir way.

Cheers,
	Egbert.