Security issues

Duflot Loic loic.duflot at sgdn.pm.gouv.fr
Fri Apr 21 01:47:19 PDT 2006

Hi Carsten,

I really don't see why it should be considered that once an attacker
gets to root privileges game is over! The securelevel on OpenBSD has
exactly been designed so that even in case of a compromission of the
root account, game is not over.
The trouble is that the proof of concept schemes shows that the
securelevel can be circumvented if their is a possibility for superuser
processes to access PIO ports. On OpenBSD, the only standard application
requiring PIO accesses is the X server. Should it not require that,
their would be no need for the iopl or ioperm call. And we would be safe
even in case of compromission of the root account.

My opinion is that the fact that the X server requires too many
privileges is basically one of the reasons why game is over once
somebody gets to root privileges. ;-)
I hope you'll understand my point,

Loïc
Loïc Duflot