XChangeDeviceControl/XGetDeviceControl ?

Andrew Zabolotny anpaza at mail.ru
Wed Apr 19 14:17:15 PDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:41:46 +0300
Aivils Stoss <aivils at latnet.lv> wrote:

> > I don't like the idea to have specialized structures for every input
> > device in the world; the structures will be different even amongst
> > different tablet drivers, not speaking of more exotic devices. What
> > I have now is about 50 parameters which are quite different e.g. I
> > wouldn't like to have them all changed in one call.
> Of course You can use more or less heretical protocol:
> http://www.ltn.lv/~aivils/files/xdevice-0.01.tar.bz2
Very interesting extension; something that was missing in X11 for
years. What are further plans for it? Just leave it as-is and let it
rot and die?

> > save driver state to a file in order to load it later at will; the
> > current implementation is that the driver itself saves and loads
> > its state to /etc/wacom.dat which looks crappy.
> Classic stuff to learn. Very nice XChangeDeviceControl implementation.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/aiptektablet
Heh, this Aipek driver shows exactly an example of "perverted
workaround" I was speaking of earlier - uses XFeedbackControl
structures to pass data forth and back, which is not feedback data at
all. Daniel, see what happens when there's no easy way for programmers
to get what they want? :) I wonder how much time will pass until
we'll see x11 drivers sending local emails with config data...

--
Greetings,
   Andrew