Overhead of X?

Bilderbeek, Manuel manuel.bilderbeek at oce.com
Wed Apr 19 01:02:22 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I have a simple general question about X.

I've been trying this on an 800x600x16bpp configured framebuffer: change
the screencolour with a memset. I can do this with about 90 fps. But
when I try this with a window in X, with the fbdev driver, I can get
only about 30fps. Is there so much overhead from X?

Additional info: the X program was both a Java/Swing program and a Qt
program. Both give the same performance of 30 frames per second. This
conforms with the notion that all CPU cycles were eaten by the Xorg
process and not by java or the C++ binary. Whether I use the fbdev
driver or the vesa driver does not make a difference.

So, can anyone explain to me where the overhead is coming from?

It seems there is some double buffering or other copying going on or so.
Would it be useful to disable e.g. the DBE?

If both tests would not be comparable, what would make a comparable
test? What kind of overhead should I expect then? (It is all on a local
system.)

Thank you in advance for your reply.

--
Kind regards,

Manuel Bilderbeek

This message and attachment(s) are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If you are not the intended recipient or agent thereof responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone and with a "reply" message.
Thank you for your cooperation.