[SCM TRANSITION] Re: Proposal: move Randr protocol and library to git

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Tue Apr 18 23:53:27 PDT 2006

Alex Deucher writes:

 > I have to agree here.  Maybe I was just spoiled by the lack of change
 > in xorg over the years, but as someone who just wants to hack on a few
 > drivers, I've found the situation getting harder and harder.  I end up
 > spending more time getting my builds going and fixing missing
 > dependancies or my environment than I do actually writing new code or
 > fixing bugs.  I'm not familiar with most a lot of X beyond the what's

And that should not be the case.
I've noticed also that the amount of overhead is growing - and I would
like to keep the lid on things.

 > involved with the drivers, and perhaps that's part of the problem.
 > However, as a part time developer, I don't have time to learn about
 > all the parts and keep up with the latest changes to trees and work on
 > the code that I actually enjoy.  I don't mind cvs, git is probably
 > fine.  I don't really care what SCM we use, but now I have to learn
 > git, fine, but it's just one more thing keeping me from getting work
 > done.

This is exactly my point. I would like to make the transition process
as painless for everyone so that those who don't work on this code base
full time still have a chance to keep up.

Having to readjust from time to time is probably not so bad - after
all the changes should also provide some benefit and make life easier.
This is true if the changes take place in a coordinated and predicatble
manner.
However keeping the infrastructure in a constant flux will only
increase overhead required for 'administrative things' for everybody.

Would be nice if we could avoid this.

Cheers,
	Egbert.