M22 and bad modeline on CRT VGA port (with jpg photo linked)

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 14:32:58 PDT 2006

On 4/15/06, Matt Flax <flatmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had some success with an Xorg V6.9.0 on Debian testing.
>
> I get this strange image when using automatic modelines.
>
> I am running an M22 (M300) chipset and use the laptop LCD panel and an
> external LCD panel ... the external panel is linked to the CRT VGA
> port on the back of the system. The LCD panel is a Viewsonic va1912bw
> with 1440x900 wide screen best response ...
>
> Here is an embossed image of the monitor ... it is embossed so you can
> make the LCD end out from the plastinc paneling... also marked with
> red scribble.
> http://www.computerdistributor.com.au/~flatmax/badmodeline.ATI.M22.M300.jpg
>
> Any ideas ? By the way, there is no cloning in this case ... as I have
> different windows open on both the laptop LCD and the external LCD.
>
> My xorg.conf file looks like this for the device :
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. M22 [Radeon Mobility M300]"
>        Driver          "ati"
>        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
>        Option          "DynamicClocks" "on"
>        Option          "CRT2Position" "LeftOf"
>        Option          "MetaModes" "1400x1050-1440x900"
> EndSection
>
> So ... I think it is a model line problem any-ways ...

I take it you are trying for a dualhead set up?  dualhead was broken
in the raden driver in xorg 6.9/7.0.  you'll need the driver from cvs
HEAD or the ati-1.0-branch for working dualhead.

> I am also aware of the following in the README for my chip ...
>
> >From the README.ati file it states :
>   o In situations where the driver is to simultaneously display on both a
>     panel and a CRT, the same image will be seen on both.  In particular,
>     this means the CRT must be able to synchronise with the timings of the
>     panel's native resolution.  This is quite evident when the panel has
>     ``odd-ball'' dimensions, such as 1400x1050, a resolution not commonly
>     possible on CRTs or projection equipment.
>
>     Also, the display of independent images on the panel and CRT is not cur-
>     rently implemented, and might never be, pending resolution of the previ-
>     ous item.

the readme is out of date and ought to be removed.  Dualhead is
supported on radeon and r128 based chips.  It's not yet supported on
mach64 chips.

Alex