Running A Generic Application In an X Window

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Apr 14 02:12:23 PDT 2006

Russell Shaw wrote:

> > I have an application that opens an X window within itself and I am
> > trying to allow any other generic application to open inside the X
> > window that was opened by this program.  I have the window ID for the
> > blank X window, but I am not sure how to get the app to actually open in
> > it.
>
> Applications that create a top-level window just create it on the root window.
> To make them open on a different window, would require the app have a command
> option for passing the new "virtual root" window for it to use.
>
> If you wrote a window manager, it could identify specific applications and
> reparent their top-level window into any other window you like.

Alternatively, you could run Xnest in your application-supplied window
using the -parent switch, then run the application on the Xnest
display.

As the application would be running on a separate display,
inter-program communication (copy/paste, drag/drop etc) won't work
without some additional effort.