R7.1 roadmap, and additional goals

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 19:56:13 PDT 2006

> >As with everything modesetting, and this is a big part of the whole
> >modesetting problem, this needs to grow from the drivers up, not the
> >other way around.
> >
> >So drafting an API is not very useful. Moulding drivers is.
> >
> >Luc Verhaegen.
> >

> Not sure I follow. So how would you do things if you had your way?
>
> Find the best implementation (or most complete partial implementation)
> in one
> of the drivers, try to separate it out from the driver into its own
> module... and
> then add similar hooks to other drivers to be able to make use of the same
> module?
>
> Have the existing code establish a defacto API?

yeah I don't agree with Luc on this either, he has "separated" out the
driver in the unichrome driver but they are still part of the
unichrome setup, still use via naming,

I've separated the Sil164 out in my i830 driver (granted by sil164
driver does very little), but the it doesn't mention I830 at all, and
doesn't require anything from the i830 driver other than for it to
load it..

> At least with an API, it gives you the form in broad strokes that the driver
> needs to be moulded to, right?

Some pieces of Lucs API might be worth re-using but I thought it might
be a bit over complicated in parts, and still too tightly bound to the
unichrome codebase to be off any use..

Dave.