Strange bug with mouse wheel scrolling

Tuukka Hastrup Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
Wed Apr 12 04:15:10 PDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Rod Butcher wrote:
> Tuukka Hastrup wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Rod Butcher wrote:
> >> I've been getting this with Linux kernel 2.6.13 with x.org 6.9. The
> >> mouse refuses to scroll vertically at all, just sideways.

> > Thus I need to have a line in /etc/X11/Xmodmap:
> > pointer = 1 2 3 8 9 4 5 6 7
> I've done it correctly now, following your example and it works. But my
> previous settings used to work OK !?

The issue is at least partly in that X has traditionally hard-coded
each button number. I suppose at first there were only 3 buttons, then
later the maximum has been raised to 5, 9, 12. Perhaps the default number
of buttons has changed along on your setup? As far as I can tell, the
number of buttons should be set to maximum in the config file, and then
ZAxisMapping should use the four largest numbers for horizontal and
vertical scrolling, so it doesn't conflict with actual physical buttons.
Programs expect numbers 4 5 6 7 though, so the button binding should have
those at the ZAxisMapping positions (last). I wonder why these are not the
default settings.

> > This is for the following generic USB mouse config:
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
> >         Driver          "mouse"
> >         Option          "CorePointer"
> >         Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
> >         Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
> >         Option          "Buttons"               "9"
> >         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
> >         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "6 7 8 9"
> > EndSection

When more buttons are needed, at least on my Debian Sarge setup the
maximum is now Buttons "12", ZAxisMapping "9 10 11 12" and
"pointer = 1 2 3 8 9 10 11 12 4 5 6 7"

Now if I only knew how all the Firefox settings for "mousewheel" and
"mousebuttonsextended" work.

--
-- Trying to catch me? Just follow up my Electric Fingerprints
-- To help you: Tuukka.Hastrup at iki.fi
                http://www.iki.fi/Tuukka.Hastrup/