3D X

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Apr 11 11:15:22 PDT 2006

On Apr 02, 06 18:09:57 +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> [...]

Read http://www.openbsd.org/papers/eurobsd2005/herrb-hopf.pdf
for an overview of modern X features.

> > There's little documentation on what a compositing manager *does*.

In this paper, there is. You will also find a lot of information on the
wiki pages of various distributions.

> > I'll find out more about X internals when i've done porting a subset
> > of it to another cpu (still to do). I don't need any of the 3D stuff
> > just for a GUI, and would rather have a fast simple and small 2D GUI

Compositing has *nothing* to do with 3D. Xgl also does *not* provide you
with a 3D GUI interface. In fact, there is no 3D GUI interface designed
so far I know of (that has more than accademic use).

> > that runs on well on old hardware than a 3D one that is slow is
> > molasses on a 10GHz pc. There's something fundamentally wrong when
> > Win95/98 still beats X in every way (in part due to just the M$ widget
> > system).

Does it? I'm surprised, it's dead slow compared to X for me.

HTH.  Images of other cute animals upon request (thanks ajax :) .

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg    (_   | |  (_   |__         mat at mshopf.de