"trident" driver problems

Moritz Tacke take at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Apr 9 04:24:14 PDT 2006

Hi!

I am using x.org x11 on a toshiba portege r100, equipped with a trident
cyberblade graphics adapter (lspci output: "01:00.0 VGA compatible
controller: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XP4m32 (rev 91)"). Using the
xorg.conf file created by "X -configure" (plus some mouse modifications),
the server is running, but not satisfactory: The updating of window
contents takes much to long, e.g. scrolling the browser window in firefox
results in a leaping rather than a smooth movement of the window contents;
additionally, the CPU load caused by the "X" process jumps up to values
of 80 or 90 %. When switching from the text console to the graphical
display (ctrl-alt-f1 -> ctrl-alt-f7, just in case I didn't express myself
correctly), filling the windows takes more than one second. I tried to
use the "vesa" driver, which resulted in a much more snappy behavior, yet
with totally distorted colors, and "fbdev", which lead to an incompletely
screen and unusability of the consoles.
The corresponding section is:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "trident"
        VendorName  "Trident Microsystems"
        BoardName   "Unknown Board"            # is this the problem?
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

All other options are commented. Is there any way to configure xorg
that results in a better performance?
Sincerely,
		Moritz