test intel git repo, with modesetting

Alan Hourihane alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 00:24:22 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 15:14 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 22:43 +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:19 -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
> > > Alan Hourihane has agreed on having the i810 driver migrated to git.
> > > This will be a help for us who have to maintain private changes before
> > > chipset release, and I think it's paying off already because I've
> > > managed to save my git commit history from my previously-private
> > > development for the public tree we're creating.
> >
> > Eric,
> >
> > I think this needs to be handled a little more formally.
> >
> > I'm guessing that there will still be quite a few distro's tracking the
> > X.Org CVS for 7.1 and it's probably wise to commit changes to both CVS &
> > your private git repository until 7.1 is out.
>
> Let's ask Ajax whether he cares; the 7.1 is a katamari, so he shouldn't
> be pulling anything but tarballs for the i810 driver. I think what we
> need to do is figure out what we want for the 7.1 release and make sure
> ajax has that release.

Thinking out loud, I'm not sure all distro's pull the real tarballs, but
pull the CVS instead, or a snapshot of it. But that may not be the case.

> > That way we can move the git repo to a more appropriate place so that
> > X.Org webpages can also be updated to point to the new locations. Given
> > that there will also be other modules (if not all) being moved to git
> > after 7.1 is out.
>
> Right, this repository is just a sample of what the repository will look
> like, not the final resting place for our shared development. X.org git
> repositories live in a tree at /git/xorg/{lib,proto,driver}, so this
> repository will be referred to as
>
> git://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel

Right, then can't we move the base driver as it stands now to that
location ?? Eric can still have his private repo for the modesetting
work.

> I'm planning on building some scripts that create tarballs every day
> when things change in any of the source repositories. Tarballs are a far
> more efficient means for getting 'recent' bits; developers can be
> expected to use the native SCM for each module they interact with. This
> will eliminate variance for users when we do change SCMs.
>
> This could be set up immediately and let people start using it before we
> move any repositories; I know that non-developer access is a pain when
> you have multiple different SCMs in force.

I think so too.

> > Please let me know if this is acceptable for your development setup ?
>
> As maintainer, it's your call as to when we make this transition.

If we can move the git repo to the URL above, then let's do that, and
pull the CVS i810 driver. Maybe just put a README in it saying "pull the
driver from git in this repo ....."

At least it removes the ambiguity of having two repo's.

Alan.