radeon driver: checkpoint

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Apr 4 14:32:55 PDT 2006

> >     save->bus_cntl           = INREG(RADEON_BUS_CNTL);
> >
> > to it ?
>
> Done, but it doesn't help.

Ok, that isn't your problem but still needs to be fixed :)

> > Also, I spotted:
> >
> > -CRTC_EXT_CNTL (0054)   0x00008048
> > +CRTC_EXT_CNTL (0054)   0x00000048
> >
> > RADEON_CRTC_CRT_ON is clear here, that means that the CRT is off, is
> > that expected ?  (That is, your primary head is a flat panel ?
>
> My primary head is a flat panel connected to the DVI connector of the
> card, the 2nd head is connected to the analog 15 pins VGA connector.
>
> > Does it
> > "fixes" your problem if you use radeontool to dynamically "fix" the
> > value to 0x8048 (radeontool regset CRTC_EXT_CNTL 0x8048)
>
> With the above patch in place, this activates the video signal on the
> 2nd head, and it displays screen 1 as expected.

Ok. So the problem is that your second head is driven by the primary
analog output... interesting. I'll have to dive into the old driver code
to understand why that worked before and not with 7.0. It's definitely
not a regression caused by my memory map patches, more yet another case
of weird CRTC<->output wiring that got broken during the 6.8 -> 7.0
cycle by various other updates. From a very quick look at the code, it
can't work indeed.

I'll have a deeper look as soon as I find some time. I'm fairly busy at
the moment so if Alex wants to give it a go, feel free :)

Ben.