radeon driver: checkpoint

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Mon Apr 3 12:59:12 PDT 2006

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> 2. I installed Linux on a disk for this machine in order to be able to
>> run radeontool and get register dumps. The behaviour is the same as
>> under OpenBSD: mergedfb works well with the current ati-1-0-branch
>> driver, but no signal on 2nd head with the traditional 2-screen mode.
>> X.Org 6.8.2 works in this mode (but mergedfb displays garbage).
>
> BTW. I would rock if you did a BSD port :) I have no idea how to access
> the PCI space on it.

This was my initial plan. But it turned out it would have taken even
longer to get back with some data. Also I wanted to be sure that it's
not an OpenBSD oddity that caused the problem.

Also, the way radeontool currently "finds" the PCI
> card sucks, that needs rewriting. We need to either:

I started by completing the pciutils support code to include OpenBSD.
I think the rest should be pretty straightforwad.

>  - Bolt a list of known PCI IDs in it, and do proper PCI scan using
> libpci on linux based on ID instead of parsing lspci output or
>  - Use the pci IDs database if installed in the OS to know the ID
>
> I want to port it to libpci on linux but something else will be needed
> for BSD.

I'm going to make the new pciaccess library work on OpenBSD. It's on my
todo list.

--
Matthieu