RandR bugs

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Thu Sep 29 07:27:48 PDT 2005

Alan Hourihane wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:16 +0200, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
>>But I question just that: Is it really the "*Resize* and *Rotate*"
>>extension's job to set the display mode/rate?
>

> It's resize and rotate with respect to the drivers validated modes from
> it's own modepool.
>

>>It completely ignores that eventually the user wants a different display
>>mode than screen size...
>

> I'm not sure what you mean here, but when you do 'xrandr -q' it lists
> valid display modes to switch to. You can use 'xrandr -s ...' to switch
> to a different mode which is pretty much the same as using CTRL+ALT and
> +/- to switch, but 'xrandr -s ..' let's you jump straight to the mode in
> question.

I can have a screen of 1280x800 and a display mode of 640x480. If I
switch the desktop size to 1024x768, RandR currently insists on setting
the display mode to 1024x768 as well. Assuming the user switched to
640x480 on purpose, I find RandR's behavior undesireable.

> The drivers own validated modepool is key to the current implementation
> in X.Org. If you add the rights modes with the correct refresh rates to
> the modepool and it's validated for the monitor then it will appear in
> the 'xrandr -q' output as an available mode to switch to.
>
> So, rate, is determined from the modepool and advertised via 'xrandr
> -q'. And when the user asks for the specified rate - randr can deal with
> it properly as it's in the modepool.

:) Thanks, but I didn't ask because I didn't know, but in order to
question the current implementation's practice.

The mode validation is X.org's weak side as it stands. Much to static. I
can't just add and remove modes. Last time I checked, the vidmode
extension and RandR can't be re-initialized during server runtime.

Thomas

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria