EXA performance and bugs

Pierre Ossman drzeus-list at drzeus.cx
Wed Sep 28 08:51:12 PDT 2005

You do not seem to have many EXA related bugs in the bugzilla so far.
Should I open bugs for it at this stage or are you considering it too
much alpha for bug-tracking? :)

The issues I see are:

 * Default mouse pointer is a colored, semi-transparent square.

 * Small rendering artifacts. Previous thread said these were caused by
cache effects.

 * Glyph rendering fails when radeon module isn't loaded. Red Hat's rhgb
starts the X server in some funky way without loading the radeon module.
I guess the achieve this by not enabling dri (haven't look to closely at
it).

I also have varying performance. I don't know if this is expected or not
but what I'm seeing is that rendering slows to a near halt if I drag a
window over another window and the desktop. Dragging over just one other
window gives full performance. Dragging over several other windows seems
to degrade performance gradually for each window added to the mix.

This is with xcompmgr running and shadow effects.

I also see the problem with slow rendering in gnome-terminal. It is
enough to have EXA turned on. Composite makes no difference.

Again, should I put up these as bugs or are they so well known that they
are being worked on anyway?

Rgds
Pierre

PS. Keep up the good work. I really like where these new features are
heading. :)