X.org no longer sees extra buttons?

David Sharp whereami at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 01:07:00 PDT 2005

On 9/28/05, İsmail Dönmez <ismail at uludag.org.tr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a Microsoft mouse with one scroll wheel and two side buttons. And I have
> to following configuration in xorg.conf :
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse0"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Buttons" "7"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> EndSection
>

> Now the thing is xev no longer shows/prints an event when I press side
> buttons. But the same configuration works fine with Xorg 6.8.2. So I guess
> either something is broken or config stuff is changed. Ideas?

it seems that the only way to acheive this is to use
Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
and then use xmodmap to reverse the buttons:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

this must be run every time you start the server, so you may want to
put it in your .xinitrc, or some global startup script.

I believe this is just a workaround though, and it would be very nice
if the mouse driver would support these mice properly.. though, i
suppose it could be a problem with the hardware lying? I doubt that
though.

perhaps someone else has more insight.

d#