ShadowFB + Composite + RandR + ?

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Tue Sep 27 11:16:24 PDT 2005

Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> Keith Packard wrote:

>>>That's wrong...
>

> Good to see that you agree :)

>>>I have no idea why it would do this; I would assume that there's
>>>something broken in the composite wrappers.
>>>
>>>A stack trace from within the offending functions might be illuminating.
>

> I will try to find out more soon. The whole upper level stuff isn't
> really my area of expertise...
>
> In the meantime, I have analyzed the coordinates: It seems that, if the
> composite manager is running, there is absolutely no clipping done to
> the boxes handed to the refresh handler. If I move a window partly
> outside, the coordinates of the boxes are not limited to the framebuffer
> dimensions.
>
> As a consequence, the following happens here for example:
>
> I run KDE with kicker in "auto-hide"-mode so that it "scrolls" itself
> outside the visible screen whenever the mouse is not over it.
>
> Right after EnableDisableFBAccess(FALSE) and *within* setRootClip(false)
> - so: BEFORE RandR has changed the pScreen structure to the new
> dimensions!!! - I receive
>
> 1) via PaintWindow() the absolute coordinates of the kicker-window(s)
> (it consists of a number of subwindows): My screen is 1280x800, and I
> receive like eg.
>
>   x1   x2    y1   y2
>  128  1152   800 847
>
> That's where kicker is in hidden state. (128 and 1152 because it doesn't
> use the whole screen's width.)
>
> 2) later, after all the kicker windows are "redrawn", comes the
> following, again via PaintWindow() (with 5 boxes at once):
>
>   x1    x2    y1     y2
>   3     4    435    461
>   95    4    435    461
>   3     4    461    461
>   95    4    461    461
>   3     4    462    461
>
> Except the first one, all are illegal. They seem to relate to my conso?e
> window, which is at the top left screen corner.
>
> A few calls later, a 38-box PaintWindow():
>  4    658     0      1
>  3    658     1      1
>  2    658     2      1
>  1    658     3      1
>  0    658     4      1
>
> and all of the following have y coordinates whose y1 is bigger than y2.
>
> 3) The very last is
>
>   0  1280     0    800
>
> which seems to be the root window.
>
> At this point xf86SetRootClip(FALSE) and EnableDisableFBAccess(FALSE)
> return.
>
> Now RandR sets its new screen dimensions. My example is a 90 degree
> rotation.
>
> At the end, RandR calls EnableDisableFBAccess(TRUE), which leads to a
> xf86SetRootClip(TRUE). This leads to
>
> 1) PaintWindow (1 box):
>
>   -1000 -979   -1000 - 986
>

> 2) PaintWindow (1 box):
>
>   -1000 -978   -1000 - 978
>
> 3) kicker redraw. Kicker doesn't understand that the display is rotated,
> so it still paints itself at 128x801 (which is now near the middle of
> [...]

PaintWindow and CopyArea and others (noticed especially PolyFillRect)
are called even in case the composite manager has redirected a window.

Confirmed this by ignoring calls to these functions - and still the
screen looks identical. Plus, everything is much faster...

I don't know where the bad coordinates come from yet - but I suspect
that these come from the calcuations in shadow.c itself, as it copies,
translates and intersects the region with the "DDXPointRec" it gets.
This might go wrong in case the window is redirected.

I now need a simple way to find out if the pWin is redirected or not, or
if the drawable is not the frontbuffer. (And for some reason I don't
understand, Window->redirectDraw is not set...)

Thomas

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria