i810 (chipset: 830M): Unable to clone, pipe b always inactive

Thomas Heinz thomasheinz at gmx.net
Mon Sep 26 16:09:24 PDT 2005

Hi

The attached xorg.conf specifies a dual head setup with cloning for a 830M
graphics chipset. I have tried several variations of the setup but pipe b
always remains inactive. Using Option "MonitorLayout" "LFP+CRT" works but
it is impossible to drive the CRT with a different refresh rate than the
LFP (since both share the same pipe).

The xorg log file is also attached. Let's walk through some interesting
lines in the following:

(WW) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in the layout.
        Using the first keyboard device.

This is only a minor point but I don't really understand why this warning
is printed. Using "CorePointer" in the keyboard InputDevice section and
InputDevice "Keyboard" "CorePointer" in the ServerLayout section does not
remove the warning. Still, it does not seem to be a problem.

(WW) I810: More than one matching Device section for instances
        (BusID: PCI:0:2:0) found: GraphicsPipe2

Why is that?

(WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum

Does not sound too good. Could it be the reason for the problem?

(WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f11 not supported.

Same as previous.

(WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum

Again.

(II) I810(0): Display Info: CRT: attached: TRUE, present: TRUE, size: (0,0)
(II) I810(0): Display Info: LFP (local flat panel): attached: TRUE,
present: TRUE, size: (1024,768)

Correct: both CRT and LFP are present and attached.

(II) I810(0): Currently active displays on Pipe A:
(II) I810(0):   LFP (local flat panel)

Ok.

(II) I810(0): No active displays on Pipe B.

Here is my problem.

Do you have any idea how to approach this problem?

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Thomas