ATI SurroundView -was- Re: Problem with xv when playing HD videos

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:22:38 PDT 2005

On 9/22/05, Mike Krufky <mkrufky at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
>
> >On 9/22/05, Mike Krufky <mkrufky at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> >

> >>btw, ati surroundview doesn't work AT ALL in linux...  I have not tried
> >>the fglrx drivers yet, but I dont think that will make much of a
> >>difference, as this has nothing to do with 3d drm. I plan to write this
> >>up in a later email with a detailed description.  Nobody seems to know
> >>what surroundview is (besides me), so I'll include a full explanation
> >>later on.
> >>

> >Is surround view basically just multi-head using the IGP and the AGP
> >card?  If so it should work with xinerama for 2d.  3d across multiple
> >cards is not yet supported.
> >
> >Alex
> >
> Alex-
>
> Yes, that's exactly what surroundview is.  When Surroundview is enabled,
> the IGP chipset behaves like a PCI card, so that it can work in tandem
> with the AGP card and provide three (or four) screens.  Right now, I
> have it working only in windows, and not in linux.  I understand 3d
> rendering across multi-head isnt yet supported... This is okay with me,
> as I'm not really into games, although it would be nice to have the 3d
> screensaver working again.
>
> I would like to get all three screens working on this box... This way I
> can test v4l/dvb drivers while watching tv on one screen, look at code
> on the second screen, and have gAIM & thunderbird open on the third. :-D
>
> Here's a link to an error log with surroundview enabled, using X Window
> System Version 6.99.99.900 (7.0.0 RC 0):
>
> http://techsounds.org/Xorg.0.log

Assuming this (http://techsounds.org/xorg.conf) is your log, here's
the problem, your device sections are wrong.  you have this right now:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Radeon 9600 XT"
#   Driver      "ati"
    Driver      "radeon"
    BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
    Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Radeon 9600 XT-2"
#   Driver      "ati"
    Driver      "radeon"
    BusID       "PCI:1:5:1"
    Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Radeon 9100 IGP"
#   Driver      "ati"
    Driver      "radeon"
    BusID       "PCI:1:7:0"
#   Screen 2
EndSection

the Seocndary device Id is not really a device, it's just a hack to
make multi-head cards work in windows 2000.  for multi-head cards
always use the bus id of the primary card.  Remove all current device
sections and replace with this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Radeon 9600 XT"
#   Driver      "ati"
    Driver      "radeon"
    BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
    Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Radeon 9600 XT-2"
#   Driver      "ati"
    Driver      "radeon"
    BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
    Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Radeon 9100 IGP"
#   Driver      "ati"
    Driver      "radeon"
    BusID       "PCI:1:7:0"
EndSection

Also you have a duplicate Screen section with the same identifier, "Screen 1",
remove that duplicate screen section.

Assuming your busids are corrent that should work.

Alex