Problem with xv when playing HD videos

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:41:59 PDT 2005

On 9/22/05, Mike Krufky <mkrufky at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> Hanno Böck wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >When playing 1080 HD-videos (with a resolution width of 1900), I see a pink
> >block on the right side (no matter what player).
> >This doesn't happen when using the -vo x11 option of mplayer, so I assume it's
> >a problem in the xv output.
> >When zooming the video with mplayer, the pink block gets smaller and
> >disappears at 1536 width.
> >
> >xvinfo says
> >    maximum XvImage size: 2048 x 2048
> >so it should work.
> >
> >The block behaves a bit strange when moving the window around. Vertically, it
> >has full size. Horizontally, when moving the window right, the block moves
> >with the window, but when moving left, the block goes out of the window. (if
> >needed I could create a video of this).
> >
> >My card:
> >0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M9+ 5C63 [Radeon
> >Mobility 9200 (AGP)] (rev 01)
> >
> >My current x is the modular ebuilds from gentoo, but the same bug has been
> >confirmed by someone else using stable xorg.
> >
> >An example video where the bug appears can be found here (yes, I know it's
> >hughe, but that's HD-video):
> >http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/cornell_m1080p.mov
> >
> I am having the same problem... I thought I would pipe in with some
> additional information...

This is a known problem with the radeon driver.  I'm not sure what the
proper fix is and I haven't had the time or content to actually dig
into it.

> I experienced the above problem when using Radeon IGP 9100 with shared
> videoram set in BIOS to use 64MB.
>
> I do NOT experience this problem on the same machine, with the on-board
> Radeon IGP 9100 (and surroundview) disabled, using an AGP Radeon 9600XT
> w/ 256 MB videoram.

So the problem only occurs with the IGP card, and not the 9600?
Perhaps the older radeons do not support the full 2048x2048 overlay.
I'll have to check the spec.

> I conducted these tests using both the stable version of xorg, and the
> beta version currently in Gentoo Portage.  I did not yet try the mplayer
> option "-xo x11" ... will try that later tonight.
>
> Maybe this information can help... maybe not...
>
> btw, ati surroundview doesn't work AT ALL in linux...  I have not tried
> the fglrx drivers yet, but I dont think that will make much of a
> difference, as this has nothing to do with 3d drm. I plan to write this
> up in a later email with a detailed description.  Nobody seems to know
> what surroundview is (besides me), so I'll include a full explanation
> later on.

Is surround view basically just multi-head using the IGP and the AGP
card?  If so it should work with xinerama for 2d.  3d across multiple
cards is not yet supported.

Alex