radeon and EXA

Miles Bader miles.bader at necel.com
Tue Sep 20 19:51:00 PDT 2005

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> writes:
> There is no render accel for EXA on the r300 and later. What chipset is
> the 9500 Pro ? Without render accel, EXA is indeed pretty pointless.

So, what _is_ a good chipset (from any manufacturer, though an older ATI
models might be candidates) these days that is likely to be well
supported by X into the future and offer good support for upcoming
whizzy features (I mean X features like hardware-supported compositing,
not 3d games)...?

I was planning on buying a new cheapish graphics card to replace my
crufty old Mach64 card ... recent versions of X only support 8 bitplanes
with my card (ouch)!

-miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"