absolute coordinate mouse support

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at hp.com
Tue Sep 20 13:11:00 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 20:45 +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Alex Williamson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >    I'm trying to determine how best to support a generic USB absolute
> > coordinate mouse.  Under Linux, it's easy to tweak the mousedev driver
> > to claim this and get it sending translated relative coordinate data
> > to /dev/input/mice.  The problem is that things get out of sync when the
> > default pointer acceleration in xorg comes into play.  This can be fixed
> > with xset, but is there a better way I should be presenting this mouse?
> > Conceptually it seems like xorg should treat it like a touchscreen, but
> > I don't know of a "generic" touchscreen interface that I can provide.
> > Any suggestions?  Thanks,
>
> I wrote the 'ws' driver for OpenBSD's wscons input driver which has both
> relative and absolute events.
> You can browse it here:
> <http://herrb.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/XF4/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/input/ws/ws.c?rev=1.10>

   Thanks for the pointer.  I was hoping it wouldn't come to writing a
new input driver for X.  The Linux mousedev driver already seems to be
doing such a nice job if interpreting the data from the mouse.  I'm not
sure I'd want to try to write a generic userspace USB mouse input driver
for X.  Are there other options?  I'm really hoping someone will hit me
with a clue bat an tell me to switch to something besides the X "mouse"
driver that knows how to handle the data and won't add an acceleration
factor.  Thanks,

	Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab