CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Sun Sep 18 07:11:51 PDT 2005

[Sorry...]

Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

>>>"time cat init301.c init301.c init301.c init301.c" in the console
>>>(konsole) went from 1.3 to 1.5 seconds averagely.
>

> Nope, the exaGlyph can't be it, since I don't support the composite
> hooks (yet).
>
> Some migration logic is borked as it seems.

Yupp, that's it: [Hm, perhaps I should update my CVS tree more often...]

- ----
Bugzilla #4226: Change the pixmap migration strategy for the CopyNtoN
case.  Now, if either source or dest were in framebuffer, try to get
both there, but prefer system memory for both otherwise.  Required
making exaasync.c go through the try-acceleration path.  This
significantly improves window resizing under composite, because
previously the pattern of creating a new pixmap and copying default
contents from the screen caused a fallback every time due to the new
destination pixmap being in system memory.
- ----

Reverting this to the old behavior makes everything MUCH faster (not
only text output, but all CopyNtoN cases)

This new strategy is not good for my case (whatever the criteria is, be
it slow hardware, non-DMA up/downloads, etc)

Thomas

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria