ES1000 Memory controller init question

Mathieu Lacage Mathieu.Lacage at sophia.inria.fr
Fri Sep 16 08:10:40 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 10:17 -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Thanks for the information.  I see the soft-boot function is required
> > for suspend/resume on notebooks.  The VBE stuff seems very x86
> > centric.  It is my understanding that the video card comes with x86
> > BIOS code located somewhere on the card that is hooked into the BIOS
> > -- is this correct?  If so, does this still apply to a systems with a
> > MIPS host processor, which is not x86?
> >

> It depends whether or not your board includes an x86 video bios or
> not.  If it does you may be able to use x86emu to post the chip using
> the bios, if not, you'll have to do it manually.

In case you have not figured this out already, and if my memory serves
me right, you should be able to download to main memory the video bios
through the pci bus by reading the "pci expansion rom" format defined in
the pci spec. On recent 2.6.x kernels, I think all you have to do is
read the file /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/rom.

hope this helps,
Mathieu