ES1000 Memory controller init question

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 07:01:12 PDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 06:35 -0500, Cliff Brake wrote:
> > I am working on a system that has a ATI ES1000 (based on radeon)
> > connected to a MIPS processor and I am trying to figure out how to
> > initialize the ES1000 SDRAM memory controller.  Where is this
> > typically done?  I have looked through Xserver driver code, but so far
> > can't find anything.  Is this typically done with a BIOS extension on
> > a x86 system or something like that?  Any pointers to code examples or
> > documentation would be most appreciated as it is next to impossible to
> > get documentation on this chip.
>
> Hi Cliff,
> This is frequently done by the chip itself, during its initialisation
> from the video BIOS.  If you look at the xf86Int10 code, of which there
> are a few examples of use (most prominently the vbe code --
> hw/xfree86/vbe), you should be able to soft-boot the card from your
> driver, using the VBE (VESA BIOS Extensions) POST.

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the information.  I see the soft-boot function is required
for suspend/resume on notebooks.  The VBE stuff seems very x86
centric.  It is my understanding that the video card comes with x86
BIOS code located somewhere on the card that is hooked into the BIOS
-- is this correct?  If so, does this still apply to a systems with a
MIPS host processor, which is not x86?

Thanks,
Cliff