Xv, radeon-exa-16.diff and some observations

Eric Anholt eta at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 13 10:41:17 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 15:48 +0200, Diego Calleja wrote:
> > Since so many people own this card (9200SE) and have no problems
> > with it with xfree86 and windows, I suspect the problem may be in the
> > mainboard (supermicro 370DE6, serverworks chipset dual p3), since it's
> > not "Multimedia-oriented" (I've had some small issues with agp BIOS
> > options and usb even with windows, linux's kernel AGP driver and mtrr
> > also did weird things in some releases and so on :/ )
>
> Ok, so I was right - this was a kernel-chipset interaction issue. I removed
> the apg modules and the hangs dissapear, apparently it's the kernel
> who causes it (gotta love broken AGP chipsets :/)
>
> But now I have another problem: fonts dissapeared from kde when enabling
> EXA! However, I found some advices in the
> 	Subject: Re: radeon 9200M troubles
> thread from Michel Dänzer and I was able to run kde when setting
> turning option "RenderAccel" "off"

As was mentioned in the checkin, render acceleration in the MMIO case is
likely broken.  That's what changed when you turned off DRI (as a side
effect of disabling AGP -- I'm assuming the fallback to pcigart didn't
work since I've seen it fail so many times myself).

Eric Anholt                                     eta at lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/              anholt at FreeBSD.org