Xv, radeon-exa-16.diff and some observations

Ryan Gallagher ryan.gallagher at comcast.net
Mon Sep 12 16:54:20 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 00:53 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
> > On 9/12/05, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de> wrote:
> >> I have tested the Xorg tree from last night right after the radeon EXA
> >> patch went in and things are working ok so far on my 9500pro card.
> >> The EXA enabled driver version seems to be slower though than the one in
> >> 6.8.2. What is the best way to benchmark this? Scrolling in Firefox for
> >> example is visibly slower and more "jerky" than in the 6.8.2 release which
> >> surprised me a bit (The logfile says that the driver is "Using EXA
> >> acceleration architecture").
> >
> > try running with EXA with xcompmgr -a
> > Should make everything much smother.
>
> I tried that but while this makes things look smoother scrolling in Firefox
> is still slower. When using the radeon driver in 6.8.2 I can open let's say
> "www.linuxtoday.com" drag the scrollbar up and down wildly and the display
> updates almost instantaneously. Using the EXA enabled XOrg version the
> display is updated with a very noticable delay with or without xcompmgr -a.

Same thing for me (radeon m9 Exa enabled modular driver).  Also
switching workspaces results in a visible redraw of windows (metacity
frames and gtk widgets).  Sometimes it takes ~1 second for all
windows/widgets to redraw.  This is with or without xcompmgr.

Window dragging is smooth, resizing is slow along with text scrolling.

ryan