modular build issues (savage and xkb)

Felix Kühling fxkuehl at gmx.de
Wed Sep 7 08:55:02 PDT 2005

Am Mittwoch, den 07.09.2005, 15:29 +0300 schrieb Georgi Hristov:
> Hi all,
>
> i'v just built the modular xorg as described in the wiki -
> first symlink.sh, then
> build.sh -s sudo /opt/x11

The first time I did this, sudo timed out and asked for a password
again. But I had redirected output to a file, so I just thought it had
finished. Make sure that your build actually completed and that you have
all the drivers in /opt/x11/lib/xorg/modules/... You should also
add /opt/x11/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig after installing
Xorg.

> It builds fine and runs, but with two glitches - on my Savage IX
> videocard i don't have XVideo anymore, and also xkb configuration fails
> to load, so no keyboard switching, and no VT switching :(
> Please tell me if these are problems of my build or this is the way it
> works, and if so is there any hope of a fix soon or I just install some
> older version...

Which X version are you upgrading from? If it's Xorg 6.8 or older (or
any XFree86 version) it may be 3D back and depth buffers hogging memory
that used to be available for XVideo. It would help to see a log file.

Don't know about the Xkb problem. Make sure that the InputDevice section
for your keyboard uses the "kbd" driver, not "keyboard".

HTH,
  Felix

--
| Felix Kühling <fxkuehl at gmx.de>                     http://fxk.de.vu |
| PGP Fingerprint: 6A3C 9566 5B30 DDED 73C3  B152 151C 5CC1 D888 E595 |