Question about 64-bit code safety

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 00:31:43 PDT 2005

> I was going by the warnings from gcc about pointers being
> converted to integers with a loss of precision...  It's one of the
> few useful tools to detect suspect code when trying to
> ensure that outside code will compile and run in an AMD64
> environment (or MIPS64 environment).

What warnings? building X without using the current DRM? as I said the
X DRM is out-of-date, build X with DrmSrcDir set to a knew drm and it
should all be fine...

> In my experience, for what it's worth, just about every assumption
> eventually breaks...  Some with spectacular results.

It wasn't an assumption, it was a design decision, the X server
creates 2-3 maps currently (framebuffer/mmio/agp), I don't think it
suddenly through any stretch of anyones imagination overflow 28-bits
... then again I could be proven wrong at which stage I'll be well
gone from the project :-)

Dave.