EXA in propietary drivers

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Tue Sep 6 17:15:51 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 06:20, Anders Storsveen wrote:
> I remember reading somewhere that implementing EXA in the graphics
> drivers was fairly easy. Is it as easy in the propietary drivers, since
> they might have been writting a little different than the open-source
> ones? Also, does anyone know if either ati or nvidia are working on it?

While the only people who can answer that with any authority are the people
providing the closed source drivers, there's no fundamental reason why EXA
would be any harder to use within a closed driver (that I know of).

As a practical matter, nvidia's closed driver already implements an
acceleration architecture internally that's superior to XAA, so I doubt they
would switch to EXA unless it provided some measurable benefit.  As far as I
know, all the other closed drivers use XAA rather than rolling their own.

- ajax