Input device design

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Thu Sep 1 05:38:20 PDT 2005

On Aug 31, 05 10:13:30 -0400, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Input events are limited by the rate of us slow humans: e.g. 100/second
> or less.  Performance is *not* an issue in this application, and
> claiming it is isn't true.

Just a side note: professional gamers typically think that 100 mouse
events per second are a bit too slow, they prefer 200-400. I don't
really know whether this makes a difference, and we don't want to imply
any upper limit anyway, but if we ever should have an estimate of an
upper limit, I'd say we should rather go for 1000/second.

Humans are still slow, though ;)

> Better an extensible format that some ad-hoc binary format (says one who
> has done both flavors of protocols).

Extensible: definitively. I would even go as far as claiming a
hierarchical format would be of great value.
ASCII/XML: doubtfull in my opinion.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>       __        __   __