Xorg 7.0-rc1 and EXA (radeon 9200)

Pierre Ossman drzeus-list at drzeus.cx
Sun Oct 30 23:33:55 PST 2005

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> here's the rough way things pan out for my laptop system: 64mb video ram.
> somehow to get xrender to work properly i have to also keep driand opengl
> enabled. this eats up 32mb of video ram (half of whatever you have) instantly
> as pre-allocated for dri clients. now since i run 1600x1200 at 32bpp the
> framebuffer is just a bit under 8mb alone. 24mb spare video ram left now. now
> given that i like a desktop wallpaper - this is another (just under) 8mb of
> video ram for the wallpaper pixmap. we have now 16mb of video ram left. that
> 16mb now has to be used to store pixmaps PER WINDOW whichbasically has space
> for about 2 fullscreen windows wort of pixels - so once you have opened 2
> screenfulls of windows you have now run out of video ram. remember xcomposite
> and pixmaps per windows is VIDEO RAM HUNGRY. it will eat your vram for
> breakfast and ask about lunch before it's even done.

Thank you! Finally some information that got things running smoothly
here. Turned off dri and now everything runs fine here. Even with all
the eye candy that one can find.  ;)

It would seem that something leaks memory though. If I keep mapping and
unmapping windows I gradually see the pixmap memory rising. When I hit
the size of my graphics card (64 MB) things deteriorate very quickly.
Who's the most likely culprit? X or xcompmgr? The latter seems more
likely since the pixmaps are freed once I kill xcompmgr.

Rgds
Pierre