fullscreen support for games

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Wed Oct 26 13:36:44 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 04:52:14PM +0200, Matthias Hopf wrote:
> Only old cards are framebuffer bandwidth limited. You cannot gain much
> bandwidth, if 4 or more textures (+ zBuffer) are used per pixel.

The problem of bad depth is mostly on the 2D side, not really on the 3D
side.

For example (always in the Wine perspective) modern 3D games fare often a
lot better than 3 years old 2D games because the blitting from main screen
to GFX card memory is killing us. If you add to this colour conversion from
8bpp to 32bpp (which multiplies the bandwith by 4), you have an idea of the
problem.

Investigations about using GL to optimize this are on my mind for years now
but never got the motivation (for example, use the GFX card paletted texture
- if supported - or some shaders for really modern ones to do the depth
conversion).

         Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/