Dynamically switch ServerLayout - is it possible ?

Joe Ammann joe at pyx.ch
Tue Oct 25 22:33:52 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 06:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Erm, a "server layout" is much more than a display layout...
>
> Good point. In my defense, Joe's example was limited to changes to the
> display layout :-} It would be useful to support such limited configuration
> changes without a restart.

Yeah, exactly. Different ServerLayout's is just _my_ current solution for the
problem at hand. If the RandR tools and the drivers woul have the
enhancements that Waldo describes (rescanning of devices, user selection of
output pipes) I would be a happy camper without changing ServerLayout :-)

BTW: I didn't follow discussions on xorg lately - is this really a new topic
we're covering here or has this been discussed before? I mean, this is
probably what most laptop users with docking stations would want .... Are we
just having hypothetical discussions or is work underway in this direction?

CU, Joe