Xorg 7.0-rc1 and EXA (radeon 9200)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Oct 25 15:37:55 PDT 2005

> Did you actually try this with dri enabled ? I think this will break the
> surfaces. In fact, when using DRI, X shouldn't setup the surfaces
> directly bu only through DRM.

Yes, with DRI enabled. You are right though, clearing the surfaces may
not be that a good idea at this point. It will generally not matter
because that fixup is usually only done once on server launch tho.

Note about the surfaces in the kernel, I don't like it very much. I want
to be able to reserve at least 2 or 3 surface registers for the server
and use them directly to avoid the overhead of going to the kernel all
the time. (I need surfaces in the EXA code for access to offscreen
pixmaps).

I think the solution is to add something to the DRM for the server to
"reserve" some surfaces...

Ben