Dynamically switch ServerLayout - is it possible ?

Joe Ammann joe at pyx.ch
Mon Oct 24 05:11:34 PDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 13:08, patrick.steiner at a1.net wrote:
> > During boot of the machine, I'm using the command
> >
> > 855resolution 5c 1400 1050
>
> have done 855resolution 5c 1680 1050 (should 915resolution also work?)

Yes, but see my remarks below.

> > snapshot has a simple install.sh script which takes care of everything.
>
> installed latest snapshot. now i get the following error if i try to start
> X with 1680x1050
[...]
> (EE) I810(0): [dri] I830DRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
> [dri] libdri version is 4.1.0 bug version 5.0.x is needed.
> [dri] Disabling DRI.

Ok, now that reminds me of something :-) When I started all my debugging of
the i915 card, first thing I had to do was to recompile the kernel :-( The
problem was that the agpgart kernel module is compiled into the Fedora (and
RHEL) default kernels. I never got that to work (it does not recognize the
i915 and consequently does not load the drm module correctly). I had to
rebuild the kernel with AGP as a loadable module, and then I could also
successfully load the drm, intel_agp and i915  kernel modules.

Sorry that I didn't mention that in my first post. That makes matters really
more complicated, I know. I'm still looking for a way to get the default
kernel to recognize the agp configuration correctly, but I haven't succeeded
yet.

Without this, you're short of luck, I guess. Only after I got the i915 kernel
module from the DRI snapshot to work correctly, all those fancy features of
the X i810 driver started to work. You should check your output of dmesg for
something like:

Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel 915GM Chipset.
agpgart: Detected 7932K stolen memory.
agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xc0000000

and

[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.0 20040925
[drm] Initialized i915 1.1.0 20040405 on minor 0: Intel Corporation Mobile
915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller

Please be aware that I do _not_ understand all the details of this and why the
card is not detected when the code is built into the kernel (compared to
build as a module). I just tried it and it worked .... So if somebody more
knowledgable with the kernel agp/drm stuff can point me into the right
direction, I'd be happy to return to the default kernel :-)

CU, Joe