Xorg 7.0-rc1 and EXA (radeon 9200)

Pierre Ossman drzeus-list at drzeus.cx
Fri Oct 21 01:43:12 PDT 2005

Francesco Biscani wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2005 19:31, Hanno Böck wrote:
>> The relevant part of my xorg.conf:
>> Section "Device"
>>     Identifier  "Generic Graphics Card"
>>     Driver      "radeon"
>>     Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
>>     Option      "AGPMode" "4"
>> #    Option     "AGPFastWrite" "true"
>>     Option      "EnablePageFlip" "true"
>>     Option      "DDCMode"
>>     Option      "RenderAccel" "true"
>>     Option      "BackingStore" "true"
>> EndSection
>>

> Two things on top of my head: disable BackingStore and add the option:
>
> Option      "SubPixelOrder" "NONE"
>
> Also make sure that DRI is enabled.
>
> Here EXA is working quite fine (radeon IGP 345, so much slower than yours).
> There are occasional glitches, like momentary slowdowns and slowness in
> switching desktops and scrolling in web browsers. But, other than that,
> transparencies are working very fine and smooth.

I have a Radeon Mobility 9200 and the performance of EXA is very uneven.
When it works as it should it really flies, but now and then it slows to
a crawl. I'm guessing memory usage is an issue because the desktop
window is the one causing most grief. A simple things as hovering above
desktop icons (making them light up) causes the system to lock up for a
second.

I've tried the settings you suggested but it didn't have any effect. Any
way of diagnosing the problem?

Rgds
Pierre